So, aside from my Japanese style fried rice & Yum Yum Sauce recipe...this is my next favorite recipe! It's amazing and pretty simple:) I realize that it says baked, however, there is some frying involved. You have to fry the chicken pieces before pouring on the sweet & sour sauce, then it's baked. So maybe it should really be called 'Fried then Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken' but that's too long so we'll just stick with the original name....if that's ok with y'all;)
- 4-5 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Begin heating oil in large skillet on medium heat.
- Rinse Chicken, trim fat, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Dip chicken into cornstarch, coating completely, then dip into eggs.
- Fry chicken in oil until golden brown.
- Place directly into a 9x13 baking dish.
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 TSP garlic salt
- 4 TBP ketchup
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 TBS low sodium soy sauce (you can use regular soy sauce, low sodium is just what I prefer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Pour evenly over browned chicken pieces in the 9x13 baking dish.
- Flip each piece of chicken to evenly coat with sauce.
- Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes,be sure to set a timer and flip each piece of chicken after the first 15 minutes.
Here's what I served my baked sweet and sour chicken with:)
I hope y'all enjoy this recipe as much as we do!